Recently, more and more people have began to use online shopping on e-commerce platforms, which has led to a considerable rise in warehouse employees and increased safety risk. This is why it is crucial that you follow these warehouse safety guidelines about so that you are able to ensure workers safety.
1. Check the flooring of your warehouse for any areas that are slippery. If there is, then cover them with a suitable material so that occurrence of sprints and falls is reduced to the minimum.
2. Encourage workers to use protective gear such as gloves, masks and goggles so that they remain safe from injuries.
3. Make sure that the lighting in your warehouse creates enough visibility without leading to strain on eyes.
4. Keep fire extinguishers around and know how to use them in case of any emergency.
5. If you feel that any safety equipment is necessary for a particular task, make sure to have it available before starting the work.
6. Make sure that all tools used in your warehouse are maintained properly so that they can be used safely for a long time to come.
7. Make sure that the items stored in your warehouse are stacked with great care so that there isn’t any danger of them falling over while you or anyone else is working nearby.
8. Provide orientation to new hires about the safety protocol of your warehouse and make them understand the importance of staying safe so that there is no room for error. Warn all new hires about the kind of working environment they are going to be in and what safety measures they need to observe while working there.
9. Make sure to have regular meetings with all the employees in your warehouse. This will make sure that everyone is on the same page and there are no miscommunications between you and them.
Make sure that all the employees are trained properly to deal with any emergency situation so that they know how to move and handle any hazardous conditions in an effective manner.
10. Encourage employees to give their opinions freely about various safety concerns around the workplace so that you can deal with them right away before they turn out to be major issues.
11. Make sure you have a policy in place to address safety concerns of employees. You can have a dedicated section on your website explaining the same for all new hires.
12. Make sure you have proper evacuation procedures in place for your warehouse if something occurs suddenly while people are working there, so that they do not get hurt or get trapped.
All these warehouse safety guidelines will help you create a safe and secure environment for your warehouse. It is important that you take care of the safety aspect of your workplace so that none of your workers are injured while working there.
Also, it will be helpful if you can implement them in an effective manner.
Here’s wishing all your employees a happy and safe workplace environment!
Yankee Supply is an industry leader in warehouse and material handling supply. We have over 40 years of experience. Learn more about us here.